The economic significance of Halloween is substantial for the retail industry. In 2007 it was estimated that $5B was spent on children; if you throw in the alcohol consumption of adults, the number might be twice that. As a parent, I’m certainly not immune to the pressures associated with all of the trappings of dressing up and begging for candy. As a teacher, my wife can attest to the effects in the classroom the day after!
I have received six emails asking what can be done to accommodate our athletes with young children. First let me set the stage for why this is such a conundrum.
1. We are backed up against one of the biggest trade shows in Las Vegas. Over 250,000 attend the SIMI show. Room rates will double- if you can find any. So that is an impossibility.
2. Unlike this year, US Nationals are locked- date and time. October 12, 13 & 14. This leaves a very narrow window to prepare for WCXXII; remember we have limitations on how many hours our CDL drivers can spend in the cockpit. And, we must allow some leeway in the event of a mechanical breakdown.
3. We have announced this date to the 400 attendees of the Lion’s Den banquet.
4. There is, nor will there ever be a perfect date that does not inconvenience someone.
5. Even from those who are voicing their preference, we have no warranty that they’ll be at WCXXII since some were not here this year.
6. Quite possibly, as of this writing, members may have already made travel/vacation/leave plans that would be interrupted.
So, let me proffer this one, perhaps possible scenario: we time shift the schedule by crossing over a weekend; e.g.: Start on Tuesday the 23rd and finish on Sunday the 28th. I’m sure I’m likely to hear some howling about this. I do understand that for firefighters, the week is composed of A, B and C shift-days, as opposed to the usual M-F. I’m not saying that we can make this happen, but I would like to hear the pro’s and con’s.
The host is offering a kid-centric day of activity, that may placate some of you. Here’s what I’m looking for: your response to an upcoming survey or posting your opinion on the forum on this website (not on Facebook, please- we’d like to handle this within our own ranks). We can’t dawdle. I want to lock this in by Friday. I’m also looking for ambassadors who will take the arrows and smooth the ruffled feathers. Any takers?
I’m all ears.
And more thing...we promise that we will make every effort to avoid such a conflict in the future!